Once you install your hardwood floors, you will want to ensure you take great care of them to keep them looking like new. Here at D&R Floors we want to provide our customers with useful hardwood floor maintenance recommendations. Utilize the following tips to maintain the strength and visual appeal of your brand new floors.
Do’s and Don’ts for Maintaining Your Wood Flooring
Here is a quick list of hardwood floor maintenance do’s and don’ts to remember:
- DO frequently sweep and vacuum your floor
- DO trim your pets’ nails and clean their paws
- DO put up protective window coverings to care for floors and protect them from heat and UV rays
- DO use a humidifier during the winter to keep wood from shrinking
- DON’T use a wet mop on your floors or clean them with water
- DON’T apply oil soap, paste wax, or anything else that contains oil on your floors
- DON’T scrub your floors with abrasive scouring pads or steel wool cleaners
- DON’T use ammonia or silicone-based cleaning or polishing products
When you clean your floors, you’ll first want to sweep them with a soft bristle broom or a hardwood-safe vacuum to keep from accidentally scratching up your floors with grit and dirt. Make sure that you avoid using a vacuum with a beater bar or rotary brush head.
We also recommend making sure that you wipe up spills immediately and use floor cleaner specially designed for hardwood. If you’re trying to remove chewing gum or candle wax, use a cube of ice to harden it before using a credit card to gently scrape it up. When wiping the area, use a slightly damp clean cloth.
Floor mats are another essential part of protecting your hardwood floors. Place them at entrances, exits, and areas of constant pressure to collect the corrosive and abrasive substances that you and your guests may track over the floors.
For more useful tips on hardwood floor maintenance, contact us at D&R Floors by calling 972-625-4100.